Get the best running shoes for lower back pain based on your budget, body type, arch type, and running terrain. You will find all the newest arrivals and top brands at relatively affordable prices.
If there is one thing veteran runners don’t joke about, it is the type and quality of their running shoes. Using wrong shoes or regular trainers for running can cause untold pain or injuries to your joints, tendons, or feet.
In this review, you will discover the best running shoes for lower back pain out there and a buying guide that will help you make an informed decision when shopping for the good running shoes to alleviate your pain.
Quick Benefits of Running Shoes
There are several benefits associated with running, and this included drops in body weight as well as blood pressure, and increases in lung capacity.
Although the type of equipment that a regular runner needs is somewhat limited, the most essential one that must not be sacrificed for any reason is a good pair of running shoes.
Good running shoes provide considerable midsole cushioning, arch support, and also assist in the prevention of injuries. Well-constructed footwear also promotes enhanced athletic performance.
Therefore, in the next few paragraphs, you will come across a brief review of some of the best running shoes in the market today.
Reviews of the Best Running Shoes
New Balance Men’s 1080v8 Fresh Foam Running Shoe
New Balance is renowned for its exceptional retro-style designs. Although the 1080v8 looks somewhat retro, they are modern sports shoes designed for running.
The appeal that the 1080v8 shoes have is their all-American design which stands them out from other shoes in the same category.
The 8th version comes with a new design with no-sew materials, a new Ortholite insole along with a blown rubber outsole. It comes with a softer mesh around the foot and with a softened ankle collar for a more customized feel.
- Fitting upper comfortably tailored
- Mesh in the toe-box expands and adjusts well to wide forefoot
- Hexagonal outsole grips in a subtle way
- Cushioning is pretty comfortable
- More extensive footprint provides a supportive and stable ride
- Value vs. price not commensurate
- No improvement on the shoes’ dull ride despite updates to the midsole
- Somewhat heavy
ASICS Men’s GEL-Nimbus 20 Running Shoe
The Men’s Nimbus running shoe comes packed with revolutionary lightweight FLYTEFOAM technology cushioning as well as FLUIDRIDE midsole.
The eyelet construction is discreet, and the running shoe is generally designed for neutral runners at all levels.
The running footwear comes with gradient jacquard-mesh FLUIDFIT upper, which smartly adapts to the user’s foot’s natural motion.
FLUIDFIT upper technology effectively combines stretch reinforcement with multidirectional stretch mesh, thus creating a personalized glove-like fit.
The FLYTEFOAM technology offers exceptional responsiveness and bounce-back while forefoot and rear-foot GEL Brand technology reduces shock during impact, thereby allowing movement in several planes.
The exoskeletal heel counter provides enhanced support, thus creating an improved heel fitting environment.
- Available in multiple colors
- Firm cushioning
- Extra support features
- Breathable upper mesh
- Tons of added technologies
- Not perfect for a user looking for a minimalist feel
Mizuno Men’s Wave Inspire 14 Running Shoe
This footwear feels like a set of shock absorbers and takes kindly to all types of surfaces: slippery, uneven, wet, high grade, etc.
The upper, midsole and outsole of this running shoe have been updated to provide users with a smoother, more stable, and faster running experience.
Although the running shoe still features a few of the unique technologies used in the Wave Inspire 13 model, they have been modified to deliver an enhanced level of performance.
It comes with a thicker sock liner and softer upper mesh with redesigned arch wraps which set back a bit slightly in order to lock both the arch and the heel in place.
- Roomy toe box
- Durable and responsive cushioning
- Durable outsole
- Reliable traction
- Comfortable upper
- Provides excellent stability
- Stitched overlays cause discomfort and irritation
- The heel is slightly narrow
- Price point a bit exorbitant
ALTRA Men’s ALM1837K Torin Knit 3.5 Road Running Shoe
The Torin Knit footwear comes with a flashy but carefully engineered knit upper that is incredibly comfortable and sleek. The A-Strap support system ensures your foot stays securely in place even after several miles.
The exceptional FootShape™ toe box and Zero Drop™ platform that is synonymous to the Astral brand, creates a natural fit, following the shape of your feet. Your toes have enough wiggle room to spread out naturally while your feet remain in flat natural positions.
- Lightweight for casual purposes and extended use
- Plenty of cushion in the sole
- Comfortable and durable upper unit
- Soft and responsive underfoot experience
- Spacious toe-box that encourages natural toe-splay
- Can be worn for extended periods without any underfoot discomfort
- Easy to over-tighten laces
- Knit material on the upper is a bit too warm when compared to standard mesh
- Ankle collar may cause skin irritation according to a few users
HOKA ONE Men’s Clifton 3 Running Shoe
The Hoka One One Clifton 3 road running shoe for men comes with an improved version of its decorated heritage. It is lightweight and cushy, featuring a wider toe-box fit or more accommodating forefoot and a seamless speed frame construction for supreme comfort.
The midsole geometry is also designed for extreme comfort, thereby making this industry-leading road runner as smooth and light as ever. If crazy cushioning and incredible comfort are your top priorities, the Hoka One One is the one for you.
- Gives irritation-free running experiences, thanks to a comfortable inner sleeve
- Breathable upper which ventilates the feet
- Thick midsole unit delivers maximum underfoot comfort
- Excellent traction on surfaces
- Robust mid-sole efficiently attenuates landing impact
- Curved arch supports the mid-foot area remarkably well
- A bit bulky for everyday runners
- Outsole unit’s rubber layer may rub out quickly
ASICS Women’s GEL-Nimbus 20 Running Shoe
The GEL-Nimbus 20 running shoe for women features a revolutionary FLYTEFOAM technology cushioning along with a FLUIDRIDE Technology Midsole, all of which are brand marks from the ASICS shoe brand.
The Nimbus also comes with a discreet eyelet construction, thus catering to neutral runners, no matter what level they are. The running shoes also feature gradient jacquard-mesh FLUIDFIT technology for the upper unit, thereby strategically adapting to the natural motion of your feet.
The 3-D printed overlays come with additional support for a customized fit that will keep you going for months on end.
- Breathable upper
- Very flexible and highly responsive
- Comfortable underfoot feel
- Traction is highly reliable
- Incredibly high construction quality for a durable and long lifespan
- Provides excellent heel stability and heel lockdown
- Laces seem a bit difficult to adjust
- It is a bit too expensive
Adidas Men’s Ultraboost 19
The Ultraboost 19 is a high-performance running shoe that delivers extraordinary comfort for neutral runners.
This propulsive and lightweight footwear comes with a seamless upper unit that is engineered with unique motion weave technology for providing stretch while securing your feet in place as you eat up the miles.
The second-skin fit follows the exact shape of your feet to minimize pressure points and delivers incredible energy return. The 3D Heel frame Fit counter molded heel provides a natural fit for optimal movement.
- Energy-efficient Boost foam
- Flexible upper
- Design of the upper unit is one of a kind
- Great responsiveness
- Continental Rubber outsole
- Extremely comfortable
- Excellent cushioning and underfoot protection
- Price point too high for sports footwear with little or no cutting edge technology
- Footwear appears to be designed for leisurewear than running
- Not all users are fond of the 3D external heel cage
ASICS Gel-Contend 5 Women’s Running Shoes
The Gel-Contend 5 running shoe comes with energized cushioning and stability which is needed to eat up those miles.
The supportive fit of the footwear has to do with an internal heel counter. At the same time, AMPLIFOAM midsole and rear foot technology ensure your feet remain comfortable and well-cushioned as you clock those miles.
The solid rubber outsole this running shoe has gives it a high level of durability. At the same time, the removable ORTHOLITE sock liner and athletic mesh help users to stay fresh for extended periods.
If comfort and protection are what you need, the Gel-Contend 5 running shoe is the perfect footwear to go for.
- Perfect as everyday wear
- Good quality midsole
- Removable insoles
- Comfortable upper
- Collar a bit too stiff
- Somewhat too narrow through midfoot
New Balance Women’s Arishi V2 Fresh Foam Running Shoe
The Fresh Foam Arishi is a versatile running shoe that works exceptionally well for cross-training workouts and long runs. It is a well-known fact that the Fresh Foam models from New Balance are plush shoes.
This particular model is no different; the outsole is built using durable rubber that cradles the feet nicely and is engineered to absorb shock.
The Fresh Foam midsole runs the entire length of the footwear, thus providing a thick cushioning. The upper unit is flexible, soft, and unbelievably breathable. The running shoe comes with subtle color choices and design elements at an unbeatably affordable price.
- Rubber outsole
- No breakdown or separation of material i.e. enhanced durability
- Highly flexible, quickly transitions through gaits without any form of hindrances
- A wide variety of color schemes available that makes the running shoe pop visually
- Added cushioning
- Basic appearance
- Narrow toe
- Lacks arch support mechanism
Saucony Men’s Cohesion 10 Running Shoe
The Cohesion 10 from Saucony is the perfect training partner for a dedicated runner. The footwear comes with excellent flexibility, impressive cushioning, and remarkable comfortable for any outdoor activity.
The creatively engineered product from Saucony helps users to maximize performance in any activity. The footwear comes with a basic IMEVA midsole that springs well and is reasonably comfortable.
The well-thought-out design comes with no frills and no support through the midfoot. The upper unit has traditional PU overlays which are stitched on an air mesh for breathability and support.
Its outsole is a rubber compound, hard and cheap, making it hard-wearing when it is dry but has grip issues when it is wet.
- Updated outsole
- Lots of cushioning for enhanced impact reduction
- Excellent entry-level shoe
- Incredibly durable and strong
- Incredible value for the price
- Fewer overlays
- Breathable and well-ventilated
- Performance not impressive in wet conditions
- Lacks arch support
- A little chunky and not fashionable
ALTRA Women’s Torin 4 Road Running Shoe
The Women’s Torin 4 running shoe comes with a Quantic midsole that is cushioned and incredibly lightweight.
And the strategic decoupling of the outsole gives the user a smooth, flexible ride coupled with high-performance but lightweight mesh which is perfect for quick miles.
The Torin 4 has enough room in the toe box that allows your toes to spread out naturally and relax for more stability and comfort in downhill descents and uphill climbs.
The running shoe also comes with Fit4Her technology which shows that the brand customizes every woman’s footwear to the exceptional anatomy of the female foot.
The outsole technology maps out the tendons and bones of your foot to help it move and bend naturally.
- Versatile usage
- Breathable and comfortable wear
- Surprisingly flexible
- A great choice for relieving joint and foot pain
- Appealing design
- Arch support, not enough
- Inconsistent sizing
JARLIF Women’s Athletic Running Shoes
This running shoe for women is designed with an excellent texture of PU along with a helpful rubber sole. It provides great support to your feet while an air cushion makes up its base.
The shoe base is gentle to the feet, and users have never complained of being hurt, no matter how long they use this pair of running shoes.
The women’s Athletic running shoes come with impressive breathability, thus preventing your feet from keeping sweat and providing a conducive environment for the growth of bacteria that causes smelly feet.
Your feet will never suffer from overheating as well, thanks to the comfortable fly knit upper that makes up almost the entire upper fabric.
The running shoe is also lightweight and is available in a wide variety of choices.
- Excellent breathability
- Available in multiple colors
- Comfortable to wear all day long
- The tongue of the shoe is narrow and bunches up according to a user
Ahico Sneakers Running Shoes Air Cushion Women Tennis Shoe
This running shoe with unique fashion design is specifically made for energetic individuals who like to engage in both indoor and outdoor activities. The breathable mesh upper is fly-knitted for ultra-lightweight support and dissipation of heat while exercising.
The rubber sole comes with Anti-Slip technology and a unique pattern that provides full support and comfort for your foot. The arch support insole gives your midfoot the best support when you run.
The Ahico Sneakers Running Shoes Air Cushion Women Tennis Shoe is available in multiple colors and a variety of decorative designs. Users will also enjoy 100 percent quality after-sales service.
- Air cushion that readily absorbs vibrations and shocks
- Provides elasticity and support
- Available in multiple colors
- Designed with high-quality knit flying fabric
- Size may be different from the usual
Under Armour Women’s Charged Rogue Running Shoe
It doesn’t matter whether you’re headed for a quick sprint or a long run, the Under Armour Women’s Charged Rogue running shoes delivers extraordinary support and comfort all-round.
The innovatively-engineered upper unit comes with a lightweight and flexible mesh while the external heel counter assists in securing your feet in place.
The Charged Cushioning of this remarkable running shoe is highly responsive, and the durable cushioning makes you feel as if you are running on oiled springs. The solid rubber outsoles ensure everything good, including durable wear.
- Built for extraordinary comfort for both short and long runs
- Charged Cushioning and sockliner provide cushioned comfort
- Solid rubber outsoles protect high impact zones for durable wear
- Creatively-engineered mesh at the upper unit delivers support and flexibility along with breathability for comfortable wear
- Charged Cushioning midsole provides durable and responsive cushioning underfoot
- May require a break-in period
- Toe box may not be as large as desired according to a user
PUMA Men’s Tazon 6 FM Running Shoe
The Tazon 6 FM running shoe has an upper unit built with synthetic leather that comes with attractive graphic textures. This adds more to the overall durability of the footwear. The Puma strips serve as structures to assist the sides of the user’s foot.
The midsole is designed for comfort with an EVA foam, providing a smooth ride and gentle landing on any terrain. An extra insert inside the sockliner absorbs sweat from your feet, thereby neutralizing bacteria that causes foot odor.
The outer sole appreciates the upper unit with its synthetic overlays along with EVA heel pod designed for shock absorption and extra cushioning.
- Strong cushioning
- Stylish design
- Made of premium materials
- Effective as a cross-trainer
- An excellent choice for all-round use
- Not running-specific as other running shoe models
- A bit narrow and tiny for sizes, making it harder to run
- Slightly uncomfortable when worn for the first time
Nike Women’s Reax Run 5 Running Shoes
The Reax Run 5 running shoes from Nike are sporty and incredibly stylish, drawing immediate attention to your feet. They are designed to be used for both short-distance and long-distance running.
The Reax Run 5 footwear comes with a lightweight mesh material at the upper unit, thus allowing your feet to breathe without any difficulty.
The footwear offers the right amount of support to cushion the impact of each stride as well as enough stability to prevent your feet from wobbling around inside.
The soles of these Nike running shoes are a bit bulky, but you will enjoy the traction they offer for any terrain.
If you love gaining speed as you run, this is the footwear you should go for.
- Can be used for long-distance running
- Can be worn all day long like regular footwear without hitches
- Comfortable fit for running
- Somewhat bulky
To choose the best performance shoes is always one of the most crucial decisions that a runner must make. Every runner is unique, and what applies to another runner may not necessarily apply to you.
This is why you should steer clear of standard running shoes due to your unique body as well as biomechanics.
To pick a proper pair that befits you, however, you need to consider different factors apart from pricing as well as your level of running experience.
The best running shoe for lower back pain should not only improve your running but must also not sacrifice support and comfort while in action. This way, you don’t suffer untold pain while wearing the shoes.
Dozens of running shoes are introduced to the market every season, and finalizing a purchase can be pretty confusing. If you go cheap products, you may have to contend with a lack of comfort or support as well as the short lifespan of the running shoe.
Here are some of the considerations to keep in mind when shopping for a running shoe for lower back pain:
You Need a Pair of Shoes Developed for Running
The best investment you can make if you want to take up running as a sport or even a hobby is picking up a pair of shoes developed specifically for running.
Running is a repetitive and specific movement of the foot from the heel to the toe, repeatedly bouncing your entire body weight up and down for extended periods.
The right running shoes must have the right traction and grip. And they must allow your feet to breathe. They must also be very comfortable when used over long distances.
The Most Important Thing about Running Shoes is Fit
Running or even walking in a shoe that is too large, too small, too narrow, too wide, or too shallow can be uncomfortable, painful, annoying, and even dangerous.
These tips should be at the forefront of your mind when searching for the best running shoes:
- You need to ensure that the heel of the running shoe is securely locked in. Lace the shoe and check to be sure that your heel is well secured but not too tight. You must be able to wiggle your toes
- Make sure you leave up to half a centimeter space over your big toe. During exercise, your foot will swell, and you must make allowances for this growth
- Lace the running shoe tight enough so that your feet do not wiggle inside it. However, be careful so that you don’t cut off circulation
- Another consideration to keep in mind is breathability. The majority of the running shoes out there come with mesh materials at the upper unit, which is designed to allow your feet to breathe.
But you need to also consider breathability in conjunction with the condition of the weather you will be running in. If you are running in the summer, your running shoes must be very breathable.
However, if you choose to run on cold winter mornings, you need to get your hands on a less breathable running shoe.
You need to understand your gait and running style as they should be your priority when you run.
There are three types of gaits: neutral, under pronated, and overpronated. Knowing your pronation or biomechanics is crucial because if you wear the wrong type of running shoes, you are doomed to discomfort and injury.
This is why arch support must not be sacrificed for any reason, especially if part of your goal is to correct your gait. These shoes have varying levels of arch support:
Neutral Running Shoes
Congratulations to you if you are one of the lucky few who have a neutral gait. This implies that your entire body is already and naturally aligned for running. Your arches flex only a little, and so a nice pair of neutral running shoes will be perfect for you.
Neutral running shoes come with a bit less cushioning, thereby allowing a flexible heel-to-toe transition. Support is still present even as you can readily transition to minimalist pairs for a barefoot movement.
Motion Control Shoes
These are corrective performance footwear that is designed to limit excess motion which results from overpronation.
If you have flat feet, you need to go for running shoes with thicker and stiffer midsoles crafted from hard and premium cushioning as it stops your foot from excessive rotation during gait cycles.
These running shoes are highly recommended for you if you have low arches, no thanks to overpronation.
Overpronated feet tend to roll inward during the heel-to-toe transition but can be forced back on track with a stabilizing platform with help from its cushioning technologies.
New Balance is renowned for its exceptional retro-style designs. Although the Men’s 1080v8 Fresh Foam Running Shoe looks somewhat retro, they are modern sports shoes designed for running.
The appeal that the 1080v8 shoes have is their all-American design which stands them out from other shoes in the same category.
For athletic ladies out there, the GEL-Nimbus 20 running shoe for women is our best women’s athletic shoes for lower back pain.
It features a revolutionary FLYTEFOAM technology cushioning along with a FLUIDRIDE Technology Midsole, all of which are brand marks from the ASICS shoe brand. It is also the.