Back pain sufferers understand the need to invest in gears, shoes, sleep pillows, chairs and everything in between that will help them combat this problem.
Of the many items available to help relieve you of the persistent and annoyingly excruciating pain of back pain, recliners are some of the most sought-after.
Why? Because the best recliner for back pain helps you relax majorly by de-stressing your spine.
But, oftentimes people get confused with choosing the right recliner for their problems. This is why I have decided to help make it easier for you by listing 12 of the best recliners for back pain available on the market.
This post will be critically cover what you should know before opting for a recliner chair to soothe your back pain with a review of the top products I’ll be recommending. So, take a seat and be ready to learn something new.
First, let me talk about what a reclining chair is.
What is a Recliner Chair?
A reclining chair (recliner) is a specifically designed chair that’s often called a lounger. It typically comes with several features to make you a bit more comfortable and laidback. Features like headrest, lumbar support, footrest, etc.
So, how do recliners work?
Reclining chairs are built for comfort, so they are designed with features that make your back comfortable by relieving your spine of stress. By sitting on a reclining chair, your whole body gets even distribution of gravity as you’re lifted off the ground.
This lets your back muscles relax as your upper body’s weight is held by the seat and not the lower back as with most chairs.
Recliners for Back Pain Comparison Chart
Here’s a comparison chart showing how each of the best 12 recliners for back pain compares against each other.
Top 12 Recliners for Back Pain
Here’s a rundown of the best recliners for back pain on the market today.
1. CANMOV Overstuffed Arms Classic Recliner
When it is about home furniture, it is difficult not to love CANMOV. The superb upholstery company makes use of quality materials in making luxury furniture for every home.
This smooth manually-bonded recliner offers a high level of comfort and durability. The padded seat and arms ensure your full back and body is supported while the leather cover and build materials provide the durability.
The CANMOV vintage design recliner chair can support weight as much as 300 pounds as well as have a footrest that opens up and retracts quite comfortably.
- Overstuffed high-density foam
- Dimensions – 40.8 x 30.2 x 26 inches
- Weight – 91 pounds
- Vintage/classic design
- Steel frame for sturdiness and durability
- Durable recliner with long-lasting leather cover
- Easy to retract leg rest
- Can support bulky weight as much as 300 pounds
- Easy installation
- CANMOV allows customers to buy with confidence via their flexible return policy
- Not suitable for taller folks
- When reclined fully, the chair may not stay in place
2. Homall PU Leather Recliner
The extended armrests and the extended footrest of this PU-leather covered recliner make it a desirable living room chair for relaxation.
It is heavily padded with quality foam that maintains its original shape for extended periods.
Even the heavily padded footrest is made to be smooth so you can easily push back and stand up when necessary. However, if you are too bulky, say above 300lbs, this recliner might not be able to support your weight.
- Curved and extended armrests
- Dimensions – 29.2 x 20.7 x 27.7 inches
- Weight – 59.4 pounds
- PU Leather cover
- Padded back and headrest as well as a padded footrest
- Remote control for massage and vibration function
- High-quality PU Leather is nice to feel
- The footrest is easily retractable
- Remote control makes it easy to switch between functions of the chair
- Can be a great addition to your home furniture
- Not useful for a tall person
- Footrest mechanism may become stiff and get broken
3. Cozzia ZG Recliner (Dual Power)
The output of this Zero Gravity recliner cannot be matched by any other similar product. The ZG function not only helps relax your body and spine but also your heart and lungs.
The zero gravity recliner ensures every part of your body is fully relaxed for higher performance. Despite these amazing health benefits, the Cozzia ZG recliner can make your living room furniture look extremely beautiful and classy.
The Cozzia ZG recliner looks beautiful but that shouldn’t fool you into thinking it is lightweight as it can support weight as much as 400 pounds!
- Dimensions – 42 x 31.5 x 46 inches
- Weight – 95 pounds
- Faux leather cover
- Independent headrest and footrest operation
- Beechwood base
- Massage and vibration capabilities
- Therapeutic chair not only massages and supports your body but helps your heart and lungs perform at a higher capacity due to its zero-gravity function
- Instantly adds class to your living room
- Headrest and footrest operate independently allowing you to balance your body as suitable
- Easily maneuverable – single button operation
- The motor has silent operation
- Pricey chair
- Installation is tricky
- Automatic parts may get broken suddenly
4. Homall Recliner Chair
This Homall recliner chair can give you both the functions of a chair and bed in one. Elderly people especially enjoy the comfort and support this recliner offers.
The PU leather is extra spongy for durability and is quite cool on the skin. The adjustable footrest is for additional comfort and you stretch your stressed body on it.
For easy maneuverability, the Homall recliner is equipped with a quick switch which expands the footrest to the needed position. The seats are also roomy for bulkier folks.
A useful feature is the side bag which holds anything from smartphones, books, remotes, and other things.
- Side pockets
- Quick switch for easy maneuverability
- PU leather cover
- Seat Dimensions :19.7″(W) x 22.1″(D )
- Back Dimensions: 20.9″(W) x 29.1″(D )
- Side pockets ensure your go-to stuff are easy to reach and organized
- Quick switch releases and raises the footrest easily
- Comfortable and sturdy design
- Can be used even if you’re 6 feet tall
- Not wide enough especially for women with huge hips
5. Domesis Renu Power Lift Recliner
Not only is the Domesis Renu recliner easy to install, but it is also built to support a weight of around 300 pounds.
The Renu leather cover gives unbeatable beauty and durability to make the recliner attractive plus it is also equipped with 2 buttons – up and down controls for getting into and out of the recliner.
The seat, back, and arms of the chair are fully padded with heavy-duty foam for additional comfort and support. There is a side pocket for storing items away when not in use.
So, if you combine classic design and beautiful finish, this recliner is what you get.
- Renu leather cover
- Side pockets
- Thickly padded armrests, backrests, and seat
- 2 power buttons for control
- Can support weight as much as 300lbs
- Durable and beautiful leather
- Can be used when there is limited space
- The aged and elderly can use this chair easily
- There is tip risk – if someone sitting in it leans forward, the chair might tip forward and the occupant might fall out
6. Human Touch ZG PC-420 Recliner
You can’t underscore the goodness of this zero gravity recliner. A recliner that helps your body maintain a neutral position, your lungs and spine are bound to benefit the most from this customizable lumbar support chair.
The independently operating leg and headrest set your body into a state of weightlessness.
The sturdy PC-420 is built with wood from a rubber tree that has been handcrafted and finished to last several years while the chair is covered with 100% full-grain leather. The recliner lever moves freely especially the footrest for easy relaxation.
- Adjustable lumbar support
- Extended armrests
- ZG immersion
- Handcrafted wooden base with floor guides
- Great for post-surgery recovery as it eases soreness in muscles, tension, fatigue, blood circulation, and relaxation
- Made from durable wood and smooth, cool, full-grain leather
- Not available in many colors
- Customizable chair adjustment for suitable positioning
7. FDW Padded Recliner Chair
Just had the most stressful day? All you need to relax totally is a sturdy recliner that would pamper every part of your stressed body soothingly.
FDW padded recliner chair is a way to go! The footrest is made of hardwood for durability and the recliner is covered in high-quality PU leather for comfort. The leather or canvas endures usage because it is highly water-resistant and anti-scrub.
The FDW recliner is easy to install and use anywhere including theatres, offices, hospitals and more.
- Thick padded back and seat
- PU leather cover
- Retractable footrest
- Hardwood parts
- Cover material is easy to clean and maintain
- Easy to assemble and adjust to suitable positions
- Sturdy and durable build
- Can accommodate tall folks
- Comfortable chair
- The chair may not be able to stand heavy usage
- The cover isn’t real leather
8. Esright Massage 360 Swivel Chair
This recliner is a contemporary design machine for caring for your back and spine after a hard day’s work. There are so many functions that this recliner is capable of – vibration, rocking, swivel 360, reclining and heating.
It has a remote control for easy maneuverability as well as side and front purses for keeping things organized.
That’s not all – the Esright Massage chair has two cup holders so whether you want to sit in front of your TV or have a nice time reading your favorite book, this chair gets the job done.
The thickly padded seat and backrest allow you to have optimum comfort and relaxation.
- 5 massage modes and 2 intensity levels
- Thick padded seat and back
- Rocking, reclining, massage, heating, and swivel function
- Aesthetic faux leather design
- The remote control makes it easy to maneuver recliner functions
- Recliner performs 5 functions in one
- Easy to assemble
- Can recline to an almost horizontal 140˚
- Leg mechanism takes some effort to retract sometimes
9. Mikayla Baby Relax Recliner
This design is nothing like the regular recliner shape that everyone knows. The Mikayla recliner has square edges with its armrest designed like a track.
The chair rotates and swivels smoothly and silently while also being equipped with a gliding capability. That means you have a range of recliner movements all in one chair.
An easy-pull device makes the Mikayla recliner easy to use after a 3-minute installation. This chair measures about 37 inches deep and 21.5 inches, which means there is room enough for proper relaxation of comfort.
- Square silhouette design
- Swivel and gliding mechanisms
- Faux leather cover
- Sturdy frame
- Beautiful design with details that accentuates the square edges of the chair
- Gliding, swivel and rocking properties
- Good for space management and can provide a classic look for your living room
- Can be used by tall folks
- Chair frame not durable
- Cannot hold a bulky individual
10. DaVinci Swivel – Glider Recliner
Do you have a baby? It is so much joy when you hold your baby in your arms while the little bundle of joy is sleeping. But you need a good chair so you can balance properly while at it.
DaVinci swivel recliner provides all of that and more. Built especially for tall people, this recliner stretches to an almost horizontal position helping you relax your spine and back.
However, when the recliner is stretched, it doesn’t rock or glides to ensure the user’s safety.
After delivery, the recliner takes less than 5 minutes to assemble and you can immediately begin to enjoy unbeatable comfort.
- Overstuffed seat and backrest
- Low armrest
- Durable chair cover
- Good for tall people
- Excellent chair for relaxing and nursing a baby
- Easy to assemble and operate
- The cover is easy to clean and maintain
- Mechanisms squeak loudly when the chair is in use
11. Ashley Yandel Power Recliner
There is something about recliners from Ashley – they make their products with high-quality materials and give their customers confidence in buying the products. This power lift recliner doesn’t need much before tilting you into a lounging experience.
With just a push of a button, the power recliner revs into action, stretching your compressed spine and back to a relaxed position.
The overstuffed and roomy recliner comes with installation instructions which are quite easy to follow. To top things off, the cover material of this recliner is soft and cool on the sin and also easy to clean and maintain.
Still, thinking about what recliner to buy? You can never go wrong with Ashley Yandel Power Recliner.
- Power remote control for maneuver
- Power lift and tilt
- Overstuffed back, head, and footrest
- Battered leather covering
- Easy to install and use
- Provides comfort
- Durable chair
- Reclines to almost 180* with the push of a button
- Can be used by tall folks and can stand a weight as much as 300 pounds
- Available in just 2 colors
12. Christopher Home 308242 Push Back Chair
I love the classic vibes this recliner chair brought back to the fore; however, this chair is modern in every single way.
The oversized recliner is covered with a material that blends into any color in your living room and the chair itself adds a touch of class to your home.
The manufacturers expertly styled this recliner with nailhead details which bring back memories of the 70s. At 22 inches deep, the recliner is roomy enough for most people and when extended, it stretches to almost 63 inches.
- High armrests
- Nailhead detailing
- Warm cover and wooden finished legs
- Tufted wingback design
- Classic design and traditionally styled finish
- Pocket-friendly recliner
- Roomy enough for most large folks
- Durable and sturdy design
- Comfortable chair
- Too heavy to maneuver
- Not for tall people
- Foam padding may be too hard
Are you in the market for a recliner for back pain? Would you like a buying guide that cuts off all fluff, is easy to comprehend and is written with your interest in mind? Come with me as I put together a compelling guide to help you pick the best recliner for back pain.
Let’s talk about the different types of recliners available on the market which you may consider if you’re a back pain sufferer.
1. Zero Gravity Recliners
The zero gravity recliners are ideal for any type of upper or lower back pain, as they tend to mimic the body’s shape, and giving you the opportunity to recline as you deem fit.
They also position your body in a way to reduce the pressure on your back and spine thanks to their lumbar support.
2. Massage Recliners
The massage recliners are ideal for relaxation and to soothe the pains in your back. Massage recliners come with a lot of features including vibrating, and heating features.
They also have motors and rollers that work for massaging. With a massaging recliner, you can experience a real-life massage as if you’re sitting in the chair and being worked on by a professional therapist.
3. Power Lift Chairs
Lift chairs/recliners are ideal for elderly people. These chairs have controls that help you choose what action to perform. You can either raise or lower the chair and it helps with getting out of the chair.
Things to Consider Before Purchasing a Recliner for Back Pain
Let’s talk about some of the things to you need to consider before investing in a recliner for your back pain.
The features of the recliner are important to note, however, be informed that recliners with top features will be more expensive.
Some good features a recliner for back pain should have include:
- Lumbar support
- Reclining option (so you can recline at several angles)
- Heating (so as to rid joints of soreness)
The user need is another critical aspect to consider. Back pain can either be acute or chronic. To get a good recliner for back pain, you have to be sure what type of back pain you’re suffering.
Acute back pain may not need a recliner, or you can make do with any type of recliner as this type of back pain is typically caused by strenuous exercises, heavy lifting, etc. You can handle it by using several alternative treatments or stopping such activities.
Chronic back pain, on the other hand, is typically associated with depression, pregnancy, health complications and this is where you need a good recliner like a power lift or a zero gravity recliner.
The material build of the recliner is also an important factor to consider. There are a lot of recliners and they, of course, are made with different designs and materials.
For your convenience, opt for a material that you’re not allergic to, and one that fits your budget.
Some of the common materials recliners are made of include:
Fabric materials – they are usually washable, affordable compared to leather and very common
Leather – they are highly durable but also very expensive. They are great for massage chairs as they can heat fast. Leather is also easy to clean.
Vinyl material – they are durable although not as long-lasting as leather and fabric materials as they peel off with time. They are also affordable.
Our Top Pick
The Cozzia ZG Recliner is our top choice of a recliner for back pain. Asides having an output unmatched by similar products on the market, the Cozzia zero gravity recliner is made of sturdy and durable materials.
It also has a faux leather cover that gives it a luxurious and fitting look that compliments your interior. This recliner is also therapeutic, helping the lungs and heart perform at max capacity.
Best still, if you want a quiet motor activity, the Cozzia Zero gravity recliner has you covered. Check it out here.